The open beta for upcoming Dead Island game, Dead Island: Epidemic, has kicked off today. The game is once again being published by Deep Silver and is free to play for all Steam users.
There is something for both fans of co-operative and team based competitive gameplay, and you can start playing right now just by heading to the store page for the game.
Dead Island: Epidemic has also had a major content update to compliment the move into open beta, and it brings the following features and improvements:
All-New PvE-Mode: Crossroads
- Crossroads enriches the PvE experience in DI:E. It offers a bigger variation, higher replayability and more challenge, regardless of skill level. Both beginners and veterans get access to a mode where they can have a lot of fun while at the same time unifying the game experience across both PVE and PvP.
Progression System Overhaul
- Levels for individual characters have been removed: There is now a global character level that applies to each character and unlocks apply to each character once you reach a new level.
- Weapon leveling and workbench levels have been removed and a new loot based weapon modification has been introduced: As they complete matches players can now earn weapon modifications (which are divided into rarity: common, uncommon, rare, epic and legendary) which offer progressively more powerful and unique gameplay altering perks.
- Character weapon expertise has been removed and instead every character now has a unique passive ability.
Loot System Rework
- Smarter drop system has been added which ensures more guaranteed drops and less randomness.
The full list of changes and improvements that are coming to Dead Island: Epidemic can be found on the steam community discussions. Try out the open beta of the game and let us know what you think to it!