There is a new patch incoming to Starbound, and according to the developers, it should "hopefully" be the last time that they have to wipe character data and start again.
The recent update on the Starbound blog reveals that the patch notes will be as follows:
- .ds_store issue affecting OSX 9.1 users (A bug where Finder created an invisible file called .ds_store in the player folder which caused the game to crash).
- A number of character creation/selection screen crashes related to loading corrupted save files
- An issue that could prevent the launcher from starting (MSVCRT.dll)
- DirectX crash bug (303 bug)
- Several memory leaks, including the slow-but-significant server memory leak a lot of people were experiencing and GUI memory leak
- Fixed a crash bug related to GUI controls
- Reduced memory load of FTL animation
- .abc files with comments no longer crash the game, plus various .abc fixes as far as key signatures/timing
- A number of issues with players spawning underground
- A bug where players spawned outside the ship if they’d previously saved the game while in the Captain’s Chair
- Right shift key was not working as a shift key, now it is
- An issue tech slots were unusable under certain conditions
- Wiring system fixes– wires are rendered below UI elements, wires no longer break when crossed into an unloaded sector
- Added image metadata caching, improved assets caching
- Added a jeep mech that was supposed to have been in the last patch, but had mysteriously gone missing!
- Object flipping issues
- Sped up the crafting window
- Fixed a sound issue that occurred after many concurrent weapon hits
- Characters no longer blink while sleeping in beds
- Assorted minor performance improvements
- New game modes! Permadeath and drop-everything-on-death modes.
- Revolvers, pulse rifles, hand grenades, shivs, Floran needlers, Floran thorn hammer
- Human guards now wear soldier uniforms
- More decorative hats! Yay, hats!
- More random encounters
- Possibly more content, if it’s finished on time!
The blog also mentions the fact that this is the "highly anticipated final character wipe."
There’s also the highly anticipated/possibly feared final character wipe– this patch contains a fix for save files so after this, you won’t need to worry about our patches destroying your characters or ships.
This patch will wipe everything– characters, ships and worlds. It will definitely be the last time we’ll need to wipe characters or ships, and will hopefully be the last time we’ll need to wipe worlds.
They did say however that they will only promise players and ships, worlds might not be safe just yet, but they will do their best.
The problem is that the organization of planets may change so if they go muck with a planet, how do we put it in the celestial map? Or if they build on a biome we remove, or something. So no promises, but we’ll try. But promises on the player / ship.
Have you been looking forward to the final character wipe? I should think a lot of people haven't really bothered playing all that much due to the wipes, or has it not bothered you?